Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Recipe Review: Homemade Chick-fil-A Nuggets

A few weeks ago I tried out a new recipe in honor of our upcoming move down South: homemade Chick-fil-A nuggets. I've seen this recipe from Iowa Girl Eats floating around for awhile now, and finally decided to try this recipe out.
I hate when all of the food on my plate is the same color. Does this bother anyone else, or am I just weird?
I've got to say, I was a little worried about this recipe at first. I've never fried anything before, so I was concerned I'd either burn my arm off or burn the nuggets. Turns out, that part of the process was really simple, so I had nothing to worry about. 

Also a concern? Part of the marinade (and apparently the secret behind the taste) is pickle juice. Huh? Sounds a little weird, and now we have an uneaten jar of pickles in our fridge since we had to purchase them just to use the juice in this recipe. Luckily, the final product didn't taste pickle-y at all.
The verdict: I honestly couldn't tell you when the last time I ate at Chick-fil-A was, so I have no idea if these taste like the real deal. But they were pretty dang tasty. I would recommend not using whole wheat flour, though, since the coating was a little more gritty than we would have preferred. But that's what I get for not following the recipe exactly.

Overall, this recipe was simple to follow, quick to prepare and pretty tasty! Now I'll have to order some real Chick-fil-A nuggets when we get to Florida to get a better comparison.

3 comments:

  1. I just used whole wheat flour for some cookies because I was too lazy to go to the store, and they were *not* very tasty. So, I recommend not using whole wheat flour for those, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I usually use whole wheat flour in everything, and it's kind of a gamble. I think for the most part I've just gotten used to the chewier texture it gives, but it was too weird and gritty as a breading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now if you can only master the Pollo Tropical chicken, I will be interested. It is the coolest FL chain not to be found elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete