Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sew Nice

As I mentioned in a previous post, one of my Christmas gifts was a sewing machine from my parents. I had seen so many sewing projects I wanted to try on Pinterest that I absolutely needed to get my own machine.

About a month ago I finally broke that bad boy out of its box and spent the weekend whipping up a couple of projects. I started simply with a coffee cup sleeve, just to get a feel for my machine, then graduated to making an infinity scarf.
My fleece coffee cup sleeve in action at Tim Horton's.
I made two versions of the infinity scarf: one with a fleece lining to keep me warm and another lightweight one for spring and summer.

The coffee cup sleeve tutorial is available via Purl Bee, and the infinity scarf tutorial is from Sweet Verbena. Thank goodness for sewing blogs!

The next project I have lined up is a fleece ear warmer headband using a tutorial from Six Sisters' Stuff. This winter has been pretty crazy weather-wise, so I need to make this headband soon if there's going to be any hope of me getting to wear it before November or December. I'll keep you posted on my future sewing projects. Now that I'm starting to get used to my machine, I'll hopefully be able to try some more advanced/interesting projects!

Anyone else out there getting crafty lately? Do any of my fellow sewers have project websites they can recommend?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with those scarves! Well done. I'm still too intimidated/lazy to mess with a sewing machine. I think my next project is going to be these friendship bracelet cushions for our dining room chairs: http://www.designsponge.com/2012/02/diy-project-friendship-bracelet-chevron-chair-cushion.html#more-130236. They look super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh those are really cute! i can't wait to see what yours look like!

    ReplyDelete